FAQ Motor Vehicle Injuries

Frequently Asked Questions About Motor Vehicle Injuries

The first moments after a motor vehicle accident can be painful and disorienting. Those feelings can continue if you suffered an injury because of the collision. If your medical bills are piling up, you are unable to work and your future looks uncertain, you need trustworthy legal advice as soon as possible.

At Engle, Kauffman & VanHorn, P.C., our attorneys have more than 60 years of combined legal experience. They frequently work with clients in Central Pennsylvania who have been injured in car, truck or motorcycle wrecks. They have compiled a list of answers to questions they frequently hear in their offices.

Commonly Asked Questions About Motor Vehicle Injuries

I was recently in an auto accident and it aggravated previous injuries, especially pre-existing back pain. Will pre-existing conditions prevent me from making a claim?

No. In Pennsylvania, it is possible to include conditions that have worsened as a result of a motor vehicle accident in your claim. Our attorneys will work with other professionals, including physicians and specialists, to document how much worse your pre-existing condition became as a result of your accident. It is important to discuss your medical history with your legal team to ensure that your claim is evaluated and calculated properly.

I am a motorcyclist who suffered traumatic brain damage as a result of a collision with another vehicle. I was not wearing a helmet. Can I sue for damages?

Yes, but be aware that many factors in this situation may impact your claim. Our firm will conduct a thorough examination of the accident to determine the degree of fault each party in the collision bears. If you were less than 50 percent at fault for your accident, you may have a solid claim. However, if you were under 21 at the time of the accident or did not complete a state-mandated safety course in lieu of wearing a helmet, the amount you are entitled to recover may be affected.

I suffered extensive injuries after my car was struck by an 18-wheeler. Should I take the insurance company’s settlement or can I sue the trucking company?

Yes, you may sue the trucking company. Truck accidents differ dramatically from crashes between two or more passenger cars in that they are exponentially longer and heavier than the average car and can do far more damage. The other difference is that semis are usually commercial vehicles and often, the trucker at the wheel is an employee of a transportation company. Depending on how the accident happened, some or all of the following parties may be named in a personal injury lawsuit after a truck accident:

  • The truck driver
  • The company or individual who owns the cab or the trailer
  • The company responsible for loading cargo in the trailer
  • An individual or company responsible for improperly maintaining the truck
  • The truck manufacturer, if the accident was caused by a product defect on the truck

Trucking companies and their insurers employ teams of lawyers dedicated to minimizing your claim, so hiring a skilled personal injury attorney is essential to ensuring that you receive compensation that will cover your current and future medical needs.

What kinds of damages can I sue for if I am a pedestrian who is hit by a driver found to be at fault for the accident?

If your accident was caused by a motorist disregarding traffic laws or driving while distracted, or impaired by alcohol or drugs, you may be able to file a personal injury claim for some or all of the following types of damages:

  • Medical bills
  • The cost of rehabilitative services
  • Lost income
  • Pain and suffering due to the injuries from the collision

Bring Your Accident Injury Questions To Us

When you work with our lawyers, you get one-on-one contact with a local legal professional. We will provide a frank, accurate assessment of your case and what you can expect from your claim. To set up a free case consultation, call us at (814) 234-8834 or use our online contact form.