FAQ Personal Injury

Answers To Common Questions About Personal Injury Cases

Many times, it is simply not enough for someone who caused you to be injured in an accident to say, “I am sorry.” If your injuries are serious enough, you may be looking at months or years of rehabilitation, adaptation to a disability and financial stress from lost income. Civil litigation allows injured people to demand financial compensation to help them recuperate from the damage they have suffered.

Personal injury law is one of our primary practice areas at Engle, Kauffman & VanHorn, P.C. We represent injury victims in a wide array of cases. Our attorneys have developed answers to some of the most frequently asked questions that we hear at our offices in State College.

Frequently Asked Questions About Personal Injury Cases

I recently broke my arm after I fell down some stairs while attending a university sporting event. It was dark in the arena and I missed a step. Could I sue to recover damages related to this?

It is certainly possible. Property owners and operators have a duty to keep their premises free of hazards or warn visitors of their existence. Proper lighting on the stairs could have prevented your injury, so an injury claim might be worth pursuing.

One caveat about a personal injury lawsuit if you were injured at an educational institution that is considered an agency of a city, county or the Commonwealth in Pennsylvania: You have only six months to file a notice of your intent to sue, compared with a two-year statute of limitations when other types of parties are involved.

I suffered a serious and disfiguring dog bite while guiding my own puppy through a dog park. How do I sue for damages?

You may sue the dog’s owner for damages, which are often covered under a homeowners policy. This is frequently the case even if the bite happened away from home. Pennsylvania applies the legal principle of “strict liability” with regard to dog bite injury cases, meaning that the owner is liable for injuries caused by his or her dog, even if the dog had never before been aggressive.

My husband suffered a spinal cord injury during a construction site accident. He may never be able to work again. How do we estimate damages for his claim if we are not clear what his ultimate level of recovery may be?

At our firm, the process of determining a claim amount would begin with an extensive examination of both your husband’s current medical condition and the circumstances of the accident. Our network of professionals, including physicians and rehabilitative specialists, provides guidance on what level of compensation would adequately support your family and provide for appropriate ongoing care. Items to be considered in your claim might include:

  • Medical bills resulting from lengthy hospital stays
  • Physical and occupational therapy required for successful post-accident adaptation
  • Wheelchairs and other mobility aids
  • Cost of hiring someone to assist with activities of daily living, such as bathing and dressing

My wife died in a truck accident a few months ago. Filing a lawsuit cannot bring her back. Why should I file a wrongful death case?

You are right; wrongful death lawsuits cannot remove the pain and grief you are feeling. However, these civil actions can provide several types of assistance:

  • Financial compensation for the family’s loss of income after her death
  • Replacement funding for future estimated wages your wife would have earned
  • Compensation for the loss of her companionship
  • Income to pay medical bills associated with her final injuries and funeral/burial costs

Standing By Your Side During The Personal Injury Claims Process

Our lawyers are committed to you and your case. We will seek the best possible outcome in a settlement or at trial. To set up a free introductory meeting, call us at (814) 234-8834 or email us. We serve clients in State College, Pennsylvania, Centre County and the surrounding area.