Grandparent And Third-Party Custody

Determining Grandparent And Third-Party Custody

Under certain circumstances, a grandparent or a nonparent who stands “in loco parentis” to a child may seek legal and/or physical custody of the child. When an action for primary custody is brought against the child’s parent, the court presumes that custody should be given to the parent unless it is shown by clear and convincing evidence that the parent should not have primary custody.

What Are Your Rights As A Grandparent?

Under other circumstances, death of a parent, separation of parents, or when the child has lived with the grandparents or great-grandparents, a grandparent or great-grandparent may seek partial or supervised physical custody of the child or children.

If you are a grandparent or nonparent seeking custody, we will explore with you all the factors that may enable you to seek custody. Our experienced custody lawyer will work with you to obtain and present the evidence needed to meet your goals for custody of the child.

Specifically, at Engle, Kauffman & VanHorn, P.C., we can assist you in determining and fighting for the following:

  • Grandparents’ rights
  • Grandparent custody
  • Third-party custody

As with every case, we will comb through the nuances of your situation and work diligently on your behalf to do what’s best for the child in question.

Contact An Experienced Lawyer For Assistance

For more information regarding Pennsylvania child custody law, or to discuss your child custody and visitation issues with an experienced family law attorney, please call our State College office at (814) 234-8834 or complete our online form.